Square. 2

Quill 6 building.
Kuala Lumpur, 2013.



After repairing my Yashica TLR, I am finally able to enjoy & explore taking photos in square format without worrying about the flaring issues. I've always have a soft spot for square format, I feel that it is the most balanced, equal of all. Although I feel that the best aspect ratio is either 4:3 or 5:4, square format holds a unique position. It's definitely not the easiest or best to print, however it is so visually pleasing. Throughout the 5 weeks at Queenstown, Tasmania, I have shot exclusively with this camera and burned through rolls of film with it. Composing with square format can be challenging and I've noticed that many scenes are more suited to rectangular format than square. However, when done right, a square image has that impact & balance that is different from others.

This "Square" series is an ongoing study and experimentation on square format composition.





Thanks for reading.



Film | Square. 2
Yashica Mat-124G, Fujifilm Pro 160NS

No comments:

Post a Comment